Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Reflections from my first week of flip (student) training

"It always starts with them, it is for them, they want this to happen and here is another reason why.  I have to continually remind them of the message that started it all.  Although the conversation was powerful and engaging, it was like three or four days ago and big emotional and cognitive ideas don't stick for that long in the heads of most people."


Here is a walk through of  what my first full week in the lab looked like.


If you have questions about curriculum design follow LINK to a post on how I formatted my class so that students can self navigate content, which (seems to be?) is an essential component to making this thing work.

The first two lessons were done in the "lab" that is to say the controlled environment of the classroom so that I could coach steps of the process (as opposed to simply letting them know today's lesson can be found at www...be prepared for discussion tomorrow).



Topic 13 Lesson

Cultural Goal:  practice what it is like at home, and learn the structure of the lessons.  

Lead with the "Why":

 "We are going to be spending a week practicing what this process will be like for you.  I have done this with students before so I would like to warn you it may be awkward.  If we are going to succeed at changing school so that it can serve you better, we need to practice like we play.  Therefore (although it may seem small), it is very important that everyone works independently (no sharing computers) so that you can get a feel for what it is like."

I learned this lesson the hard way last year, because I didn't think it would be, and it has nothing to do with being distracted.  Students are far less likely to do the things that are intended with this model.  Pause, rewind, "stop and think" when the lessons prompts them to because they are concerned about the person sitting next to them and slowing them down.

Also notice how different this message is then just simply starting with

"Today you need to work individually, so no sharing computers or devices"

This message was shared before I walk through the structure of a lesson.  It took me two periods by the way to figure out that I need to Start with this idea as opposed to end when they are (mentally) on their way into the computer lab or what ever.

Here is a look at some types data I collect at the end of every lesson.  How cool would it be to know this stuff at the beginning of class.




Topic 14 Lesson

Culture Goal:  I need your feedback, but am not sure the best way to get it.

"We have already discussed how much more efficient school could be if we weren't so stuck on the idea of delivering one message to everyone, there is another possible benefit to this system should we succeed in working together to make it work.  I usually share some info, we work on it, then have a small quiz or assessment.  It is only then that I really am able to take a look inside your heads and see what things are sticking and what things are missing their mark.  Think of all the time wasted between the lesson and the grading of the quiz...we usually have moved on to another topic by then.  That crucial information is almost useless at this point.

One thing I would like to coach you all to get good at is leaving feedback the moment you finish a lesson, when you are best able to articulate what works and what didn't.  Here is one way to try doing that..."

It always starts with them, it is for them and they want this to happen and here is another reason why.  I have to continually remind them of the message that started it all.  Although the conversation was powerful and engaging, it was like three or four days ago and emotional and cognitive ideas don't stick for that long in the heads of most people.

One important question that I lovingly rip off from the godfather of flip, Harvard Physics Professor, Eric Mazur 1, 2, 3.


He is my friggin hero! and all three of those links are worth investigating in order of awesomeness.  The first is an audio documentary on the observed ineffectiveness of lecture at the college level. Number 2 is a video podcast with tons of his "how to" stuff.  3 is a keynote he did at a teaching/tech conference. killer.

"Please tell me one thing you found difficult, even if came to understand everything, some parts were certainly more difficult than others.  We are going to practice different ways for you to communicate with me your thoughts.  Feel free to look at what others wrote and give them a thumbs up if you agree with them, as opposed to putting another comment. "

Here is the information they left me...open the "view comment" button.
video feedback (check comments pretty sweet)




Topic 15 lesson

Cultural Objective:  You can make your own decisions about what two do next, here is how to intra-navigate a lesson, and inter-navigate lessons.

"This video is long and it is by that way from design.  Here are some things to consider as you watch a video,  There is a posted question to open the blog lesson and if you have not clue what you are looking at, follow link to previous topic.  Remember we are working to undue the idea of moving forward day after day no matter what you learn or don't.  I will do a brief review of old topics to start a lesson, then objectives and vocab.  You A:  have no clue what the review question is...go to previous lesson link.  B:  looks familiar but need a refresher...watch the initial review, or C:  totally get review...fast forward.  Please everyone, make these lessons yours.  You will have more power in your own learning than you have ever had in your life.  Focus on it and do you best so we can make this work."

I also changed my blog design to allow anonymous sign in.  Students are able to leave comments without signing in (which is the devil btw...I am all google for the simple fact that they sign in once and can access everything they make and use.).  I witnessed excellent decision making (on occasion) that I wondered if it would ever happen at all.  Students that should fast foward, moving ahead and those that aren't ready to access the content following link to previous lesson.  Powerful.

What I did not get is good feedback, so I clearly need to continue to train them on that process.  Purhaps my next assignment will be to write a summary of notes that includes a question that is answered inside your summery (AVID yay!), post your question and answer someone else's.

Ideas for coaching up better feedback?

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment